NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Little Book That Could by Shelley Munro


Not long after I was published, my editor suggested I write a short story of around 15,000 words. Up to that point all the books I’d written were around 50,000 plus and this was much shorter. My first reaction was sure! I mean, how hard could it be? Writing is writing, right?

The idea part was easy since I’d been dying to write a paranormal romance featuring feline shapeshifters. While many authors and readers thought werewolves were the best things since sliced bread, I dreamed of glossy black leopards. Full of enthusiasm, I dived into the story and wrote about the small country town of Middlemarch. The town is also home to a community of black leopard shifters and suffers from a shortage of marriageable women. In order to attract women to the district the community decides to host the inaugural Middlemarch Single’s ball. (The town of Middlemarch is a real place and the idea for the Single’s Ball hit our news, which is where I stole it from. The ball takes place this year around Easter if you’re interested in attending.)

The shifter community hopes the women might exert a calming presence on some of the young males. Saber Mitchell, the oldest brother in the Mitchell family, wants at least some of his unruly younger brothers married off since their shenanigans are giving him gray hair. Unfortunately for Saber, the trap springs on him. He takes one look at an attractive lady dressed in red and muscles everyone else aside.

Pleased with my effort I sent the story off to my editor and settled back to wait for the contract offer. An email duly arrived, but the reply wasn’t what I hoped. My editor liked the story idea and the characters. She loved the setting and the humor I incorporated, but there was way too much plot for the story length. Would I like to rewrite the story into something longer?

Back to the drawing board. By this time I’d fallen in love with the characters and the town of Middlemarch myself, so I set about lengthening the story. Scarlet Woman doubled in length by the time I’d finished, and my editor said yes to the revised submission. Yay! Readers enjoyed the story and wanted to know what happened to the rest of Saber’s brothers. The Middlemarch Mates series was born and turned into twelve books, all set in the town of Middlemarch.

Since my first short story attempt, I have learned a thing or two and have managed to write several successful short manuscripts. I do find them tricky, though, and struggle to keep my plots to a bare minimum. Writing Scarlet Woman taught me a lot about writing short even though the book itself is novella sized. I like to think of Scarlet Woman as my little book that could.

If you enjoy erotic romances about family and small towns make sure you grab your free copy of Scarlet Woman (free from Ellora’s Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and All Romance e-books from 28 Jan to 10 Feb 2013) and also Lightning Strikes Twice, which takes place at the same dance as Scarlet Woman (free from Ellora’s Cave and All Romance e-books)

Do you enjoy reading shorter length stories? Do you enjoy writing them?

Shelley Munro lives in New Zealand with her husband and a rambunctious puppy. She's currently hard at work on contemporary story that coincidentally features family and small towns. To learn more about Shelley and her books visit her website.

13 comments:

Clare London said...

Great post, Shelley. I really like writing shorter stories, but like you've pointed out, they take very diifferent skills :).

JB Lynn said...

I enjoy reading them, but I agree writing short requires a different skill set! I'm glad everything worked out with your story!

Anne Marie Becker said...

I tried to write a short story recently...ended up the same as you - felt like I had too much plot and had to write the entire, 90k-word book. I swear, stories have minds of their own. :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's a good story of how the book came about!

I wrote my first novella recently. In some ways it's easier and in some ways it's so much harder, especially when you're not used to it.

I do like reading them too. Not all the time, but they're fun to get a little taste of a new author.

Shelley Munro said...

I can't believe I was so "how hard can it be?" I'm full of admiration for those who write short all the time. Definitely a skill!

Shelley Munro said...

Thanks. Silver lining and all that. :)

Shelley Munro said...

LOL I'm so glad I'm not alone. 90K is a big jump!

Shelley Munro said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I love my Middlemarch series. I find short stories are great to read when I'm time-short yet need my reading fix. I don't feel as if I'm missing out.

CathyP said...

Can't wait to read your series Shelley!

I wrote my first novella recently and discovered they're fun and frustrating. Keeping the focus on the characters and plot (without any subplots!) is a challenge. There's no room for any excess.

I'm looking forward to writing more of them.

Rita said...

I don’t feel like I have time to develop the characters. I guess I’m not talented enough. I hate for them any book I like to end. I want to keep it going. Sigh.

Shelley Munro said...

Subplots are a no-no! I always try to keep characters to a minimum, using just the main two if possible. Definitely a challenge. Enjoy, Cathy.

Shelley Munro said...

Rita, I hear what you're say ing about longer reads. There's so much more to sink your teeth into!

truongmuunghenhan said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.

More Popular Posts