NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, January 18, 2013


                

Eeep! You caught me.                                        

                       confess.                                 

                                                       I admit it

                                     I am NOT a multi tasker.

                It dazes and confuses me. There, I said it and I feel better. 

               My best effort at MT’ing is listening to a book while I do house or yard work. Oh! I can’t drive and listen. I get lost in the story and next thing I know I’m in the middle of a field and have no idea where I am.  I can’t write and be on facebook or twitter. No sir. My agent says don’t do it if it isn’t fun. Eh…That’s the problem, it is fun. I get so caught up in what other people do, I do nothing.  I can’t cook and write. Well I can but, the smoke detectors go off.  Grrr.  I can do laundry. At least the wash part gets done. Then I frequently have to run it through again because three days later the clothes still haven’t been put in the dryer and are a tad sour smelling.
              Tried writing and watching the football playoff games with no sound this past weekend. Had to stop. Found three totally inappropriate football references in a scene. I want to read all the blogs I see posted. Heavy sigh. Just not possible.
              What confounds me is the people who are on every social media group known to man and every email loop posting constantly about their daily routine. They work outside the home, manage a house and family and still they put out five books a year.  Really? How do they do that?  Add to all of it promo and reports of soaring sales and I am totally overwhelmed by what they are doing to the point I’d decided to admit my short coming, stick my fingers in my ears and sing lalalalalal shutting it all out.   
              But wait… It seems if you don’t do all these things you can’t be successful. I LOVE writing. But if I spend too much time with this other crap it drains my creativity and desire to write. Am I doomed and a disgrace to my gender?  I’m making an effort to daily include social media- with a time limit. Also spend time on learning my craft and or researching. Spend more time engaging in life. Reading. Writing.  

Take pity on a slow, easily distracted writer who can’t multi task and share how you do it? (I mean multi task.)  

6 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

I give up sleep. Or free time. Not willingly. But to get everything done, unfortunately, something has to give. And then I get so tired (like this week!) and know it's time to give up multi-tasking for a few days. :) So, for the next week, I plan to focus on getting one writing task and one household task done each day. My brain needs a break. Hmmm... think I'll add "nap once a day" to that list. :)

Rita said...

Good for you Anne Marie. A nap sound glorious.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Sorry, Rita, I'm no help. I can barely keep up with my housework, let alone social media. Promote? What the heck is that? If I can only do one thing at at time and do it well, it will be writing. No apologies here.

Rita said...

Marcelle I only wish all I had to do was write. Perhaps clones are the answer.

Toni Anderson said...

For me it all depends where I am in a manuscript. If I'm brainstorming and plotting I give myself a bit more internet freedom. If I'm writing a new manuscript/editing I give myself 15 minute breaks where I make tea, check email & FB and go to the loo. Then back to it. I find it hard to write and do 'other' things. And my need for solitude to write has increased. Ear plugs work for when everyone else is home though!!

Rita said...

Yes solitude! If only.

More Popular Posts