NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Inspiring Works


Have you ever read a novel that inspired you? I’ve read some that made me want to listen better, help more or just be a better person. As a writer, I’ve come across several books that make me say, ‘I wish I could write like that.’ I’ve discovered metaphors and thought, ‘why couldn’t I have come up with one that good?’ My favorite (no surprise) is suspense. A well-written suspense is better than extra icing on my birthday cake!

Right now I’m reading Gone Girl now by Gillian Flynn and let me tell you, this is one well-written book. There are a few big plot twists and some really shocking moments in the mystery. The story is captivating and the writing close to perfect.

The story is told from two points of view, both done in first person—Nick Dunne, the husband, and Amy Dunne, the wife. Amy’s is written as her diary. I don’t want to give you any plot spoilers here, so all I will say is Nick and Amy see things very differently. The author lets the reader think they know what’s going on, only to pull the rug out from under halfway through the book.

I must add that the authors here at Not Your Usual Suspects are a very talented group. And although none wrote Gone Girl, they have written some really terrific suspense stories. I’ve read a bunch of them and am in awe of the skill of many members.

What suspense books have you read that kept you on the edge of your seat? 

7 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

I'll look out for this one.
Ann

Toni Anderson said...

I keep meaning to read GONE GIRL. I have been inspired many times, by many people--nothing beats that unputdownable feeling of a great book.

Maureen A. Miller said...

I'll have to check this out, Wynter. Lately I've been the "GONE GIRL". Where's Maureen? Oh, she's been gone... :)

Anne Marie Becker said...

GONE GIRL has been on my nightstand for a couple months now, and I really want to read it. Unfortunately, life keeps getting in the way, but I WILL get back to it. I read the first 10 pages about a month ago and was struck by the writer's voice - very intriguing, and I've heard the twists are great. Looking forward to it!

Rita said...

Interesting. Sounds very good. Thanks for the tip.

Wynter said...

LOL, Maureen.

Anne Marie - yes - I love her voice, too.

Marcelle Dubé said...

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard great things about GONE GIRL. And I agree that there are some superb writers in this group. I just need more hours in the day to read everything they produce!

More Popular Posts