NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Carpe Duodecim



Today will be amazing. Are you ready for it? Have you had your coffee? (Or did I scare you away with the Latin title?) If you’re still here, hold on, cuz here it comes…

Today is 12-12-12. It’s the last of those “repeating” dates for a long, long time. At least in our lifetime. There is no 13-13-13 or 14-14-14 or…well you get the idea. So, today I’m urging each of you to carpe duodecim. Seize the twelve.

If you hadn’t noticed, I’m kind of fond of symbolism. I love numerology, word patterns, fractal images, etc. In fact, when naming my children (I have three), I considered syllables and abbreviated nicknames when naming them so that when I chose names, I had a nice, neat, reciprocal pattern. My husband’s nickname is three letters. My name (Anne) is four. Our first child has a one-syllable, five-letter name, second child has two syllables and four letters, and, you guessed it, third (and final!) child has three syllables and his nickname is three letters long. (Now, if only that last child had been a girl, it would have been girl-boy-girl-boy…you get the idea. It’s okay, though. I’m kind of fond of the tot, so I’ll keep him.)

And no, my love of thought-provoking patterns doesn’t end with numbers. I love juicy words. Words that have meat and flavor and evoke emotion. For instance, why say “walked” when you can say “jogged,” “strutted,” or “stumbled?” So much more meaning there. So much more elegant.


And, images! Well, the world is founded on fractals…tiny, repeating, beautiful patterns (see the image above, captured by the author "Eequor" on Wikipedia).

Okay, so maybe my passion isn’t so much fondness as fanaticism. I like patterns. I like things nice and neat and symmetrical…and packed with flavor.

So, today is special. Go forth and do great things. Heck, do 12 great things. Breathe fresh air, create new art, say hello to someone new, or do whatever makes you happy (as long as it’s legal…according to the Mayans, we may only have a few days left before the end of the world and you really don’t want to spend them in jail, do you?).

Go do something fabulous. Carpe duodecim. Cuz this won’t happen again for another 100 years... If the Mayans were wrong.

What are you going to do with your special day? Do you have any “quirks” centered around words, numbers, or calendars? (Or is it just me?)

13 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

We've almost finished our 12/12 down here. Lots of people decided to marry today.

No quirks for me, but I do find it interesting.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Am I the only person in the world who wasn't paying attention? It actually took me a moment to figure out what everyone was talking about. I guess that means I'm not oriented toward symbols!

Maureen A. Miller said...

I think at 12:12pm today I will have a toast. Of course that means at 12:14pm today I will need a nap. :)

Great post, Anne Marie. :)

CathyP said...

Word patterns, alliterations! Or maybe that’s a Southern thing

Rita said...

Why do people marry on these days?
I think the dates are interesting I guess I'm not superstitious about it.

Anne Marie Becker said...

@Shelley - ah, yes, the marriage and birth symbolism. My mom tried to have my sister on 7-7-77....she missed it by a few days.

@Marcelle - it's a busy time of year. (And I think I only noticed early on because I was writing the date on my calendar to note when I was blogging.)

Anne Marie Becker said...

@Maureen - I'll toast with you! But I can't take the nap (boo!). I'm presenting to a group of 3rd-5th graders this afternoon about how to organize your writing when it's a work of fiction. Gulp. I think I'll have that drink after all!

@Cathy - I love alliteration! I try to use it in my WIPs. ;) I love the poetic quality of it. (Even though I don't particularly enjoy poetry. Go figure.)

Anne Marie Becker said...

@Rita - I know, right? Maybe so they won't forget their anniversary? :) I never understood the superstition behind it. I just enjoy the patterns. Some people think I'm a nerd. ;)

Kathy Ivan said...

Laughing -- I didn't even notice the date until I read the blog post. :-) I guess I'm just not that superstitious about it. Although I do find it interesting that so many people are. I do love the rhythm of 12-12-12 though. It just rolls effortlessly off the tongue.

Anne Marie Becker said...

@Kathy - glad to be of service - if nothing else, at least you know the date. ;) Rhythm and patterns make life so interesting!

Jean Harrington said...

Our son was born on our fifth wedding anniversary, October 30, does that count in here as a significant number? Just to us, I guess. A fun post, thanks!

Dee J. said...

I have a total fixation with numbers. I actually got married on 6/7/89 so I took the time to really enjoy every minute of today. At 12:12, I stepped outside and made a wish for my family. Don't know why, really, but it just struck me as a good time to look up to the cloudy heavens and say a prayer for health and happiness in the coming year. I read an article years ago that said there is good luck with sequential numbers... who knows. Loved the post.:)

Anne Marie Becker said...

@Jean - absolutely! I love *coincidences* like that. :)

@DeeJ - I love your wedding date! :) My daughter told me to make a wish at 12:12 today, and I guess NASA or somebody had a countdown that they had running on the classroom computer. Fun! And it fit right in with the lesson I had planned with them that afternoon about dreaming big (from a writer's standpoint) and brainstorming fun fiction stories. Why not wish big and dream big? :)

More Popular Posts