NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, January 27, 2012

Smile - You're In A Romantic Suspense Book

Someone posted a comment in a blog that simply said, “There’s no smiling in romantic suspense.”
 
NOT a Romantic Suspense  cover!
The context of the comment was actually that there is no smiling on Romantic Suspense book covers, which is true. You're not usually seen fleeing from a psycopath with a big ole grin on your face.
 
Is there smiling in romantic suspense? The hero and heroine are chin deep in woes. They are battling a grandiose foe. They each carry emotional baggage, and are consumed with the reasons they shouldn't be together. There's pretty much nothing for them to smile about. And yet, in the midst of all this misery, there's that rare moment when they share an unexpected joke...that brief glimmer that a force greater than all these tribulations is at hand.
 
Definitely a Romantic Suspense cover!
I generally write what I would call dark romantic suspense. That doesn't mean that I write something with a paranormal twist to it. It’s dark because my books take place either in the middle of a squall, or most of the dramatic scenes are at night. Basically, there’s no sun. LOL! Even when I finally decided to write a book in the hot, humid jungle, you all thought…finally! Finally, Maureen is going to let us bask in the sunshine…alas, most of the story ended up taking place underground.  

So my poor characters don't have much to smile about either...until that kiss. Funny enough, no matter how desperate the situation, that kiss just makes the planets fall into alignment for one brief moment.
 
And heck, even the author smiles at that point. :)
 
 

12 comments:

JB Lynn said...

Well sometimes the psychopath grins maniacally...does that count as a smile? ;-)

Toni Anderson said...

I think my characters smile. And laugh. Obviously I'm doing something wrong...

Rita said...

Maureen I LOVE how your explain Dark RS. you are tooo funny

Maureen A. Miller said...

@JB - It's the grinning psychopaths that make the book really interesting. It counts!

@Toni - You have the formula absolutely perfect.

@Rita - My characters are cutting down on expenses? The electric bill was high? LOL

Elise Warner said...

Maureen--you have a great smile. I shall have to count the amiles in the next Romantic Suspense book I read.

Anne Marie Becker said...

Huh, I never thought about the covers not having smiles, but yeah, that would kind of be weird for RS. I much prefer the sarcastic smirks or evil grins in my dark RS. LOL

Marcelle Dubé said...

I suspect you would find it impossible to keep smiles out of your stories, Maureen, due to your naturally sunny disposition!

Marcelle Dubé said...

I suspect you would find it impossible to keep smiles out of your stories, Maureen, due to your naturally sunny disposition!

Maureen A. Miller said...

@Elise - That could be a great giveaway. Kind of like guessing the number of jellybeans in a jar. :)

@Anne Marie - I am a big fan of sarcastic smirks!!

@Marcelle - Admit it!! I'm the sunshine of your life. (hahahaha)

Wynter said...

I can't help myself. I always throw in a sprinkle of humor because I love reading it in otherwise "serious" books.
How interesting that all your books are mostly dark because you seem so light and fun!

Dee J. said...

Great point about RS covers! I try to throw some humor in my RS, but when the walls are caving in, it does make smiling tough. Great post, Maureen! Sorry to get here late.

Unknown said...

Ha. I love your idea of 'dark' RS. I shall be counting the smiles in the next RS I read. :)

More Popular Posts