NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, January 23, 2012

Everyone Will Hate This Book

I don't know if other authors ever feel the same way, but I'm always convinced everyone is going to hate my book.

Sure, my critique partners, friends, and family don't hate it, but they know me. They like me (most of the time). They get me.

My agent loves my book, but that could be a fluke. My editor loves my book, but again, maybe that's just a piece of dumb luck. Even though the first few reviews I've seen all gave it five stars, I'm still worried. Despite the fact that those reviewers took the time to write to me to ask when the NEXT book will be out, I'm still hesitant to believe that others could love these characters as much as I do. (If you'd like to meet a few, the first chapter is available here.)

I think it takes a certain degree of hubris to expose your writing to the world. You have to believe that the story you've written is good enough to keep the masses entertained. Otherwise you'd just keep it tucked away at the bottom of a drawer, or hidden in a folder on your computer.

So at some point, I believed that this story was good enough. Hell, I'll be honest, I thought it was fan-freaking-tastic. I still do.

But I'm also worried everyone will hate it.

As a reader, which characters do you absolutely love. If you're a writer, do you worry that everyone will hate your book?

My latest book CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN releases tomorrow in ebook form and next month as a paperback. Evidence that it's not hated can be found here, here, and here.

CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN
Maggie Lee is not your average hit woman. For one thing, she’s never killed anyone. For another, after hitting her head in the car accident that killed her sister, her new best friend is a talking lizard--a picky eater obsessed with Wheel of Fortune, who only Maggie can hear.
Maggie, who can barely take care of herself, is desperate to help her injured and orphaned niece get the best medical care possible, so she reluctantly accepts a mobster’s lucrative job offer: major cash to kill his monstrous son-in-law.
Paired with Patrick Mulligan, a charming murder mentor (who happens to moonlight as a police detective), Maggie stumbles down her new career path, contending with self-doubt, three meddling aunts, a semi-psychic friend predicting her doom, and a day job she hates. Oh, and let’s not forget about Paul Kowalski, the sexy beat cop who could throw her ass in jail if he finds out what she’s up to.
Training has never been this complicated! And, this time, Maggie has to get the job done. Because if she doesn’t – she’s the mob’s next target.



Available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other fine retailers.

12 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

I don't know if I'm 100% convinced everyone will hate my books, but the idea is always floating somewhere in the back of my head. Since I'm unpublished, it's usually confined to 'my beta readers and critique partners probably hate my book'. It's paralyzing if I think about it too hard.

If you're getting five star reviews, that's not luck - that's skill. You go, girl. =o)

And SQUEE for tomorrow's release. I can't wait.

Maureen A. Miller said...

I loved the FIRST VICTIM, and I'm not alone with that sentiment.
You are sharing the confessions of a slightly neurotic author! LOL

The reviews are awesome. You will be a star! Congratulations on tomorrow, JB.

JB Lynn said...

B.E. -- The trick is to blast music to drown out that annoying little inner voice. Also, getting five star reviews doesn't hurt, lol.

Maureen -- What do you mean a "SLIGHTLY neurotic writer"??? Glad you liked The First Victim. Hope you like this one even better!!

Marcelle Dubé said...

Confessions sounds like a lot of fun, JB. Congratulations on the new release! And you're not alone in worrying that everyone will hate your stories. Every time I release one into the world I get the horrible feeling that I've made a mistake and now everyone will find out about it!

Anne Marie Becker said...

JB - I love your cover, your title, and the story idea... so the book's got to be good, right? :)

Yes, as a writer, I struggle from time to time with the "why would anyone read my stuff" question. Reminding myself of what I've achieved usually helps. Hey, at least a handful of people (my agent, editor, siblings, some readers) read my stuff and like it, so odds are a few more people out there will, too. ;)

JB Lynn said...

Marcelle -- Exactly! Good to know I'm not alone in my neuroses.

Anne Marie -- LOL, I guess the odds are in our favor.

Elise Warner said...

Loved the bits I read here. Not alone if you're getting five star reviews. Marvelous.

Cynthia Justlin said...

Yes, I already have a pit in my stomach and my Carina book is not coming out until May! :)

But 5 star reviews, are not a fluke, so I think you can rest easy about that!

Congrats on the release!

Toni Anderson said...

I am always convinced people will hate my stories. But I also know that people 'might' like them. I don't know how these things coexist inside my body but I sense I am not alone LOL. The book sounds fabulous :)

JB Lynn said...

Elise -- Those early reviews were certainly an ego boost.

Cynthia -- I wish I could tell you it gets easier....Congrats, though!

Toni -- It's like having two personalities!

Unknown said...

I'm always convinced everyone will hate my book. Always.

I loved The First Victim and I can't wait to read Confessions. I *know* it will be a wonderful read.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I'm always surprised when people say they like my books - because I'm sort of convinced I write things only I will like. It's no mystery to me, though, why people will love CONFESSIONS OF A SLIGHTLY NEUROTIC HITWOMAN. I loved it!

More Popular Posts