NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, January 30, 2012

How Strong Are You?


Hi all! It’s my first time here at Not Your Usual Suspects and I’m thrilled to be part of the fun. Right now I’m gearing up for the release of my second book Danger Zone. I can’t tell you how excited I am for the book to come out because so much has happened since the release of Dangerous Race, the first book in the Adrenaline Highs Series.


I wasn’t sure what to talk about today, then I thought about how we live life and work at the things that help make our dreams come true. How often do we go outside our comfort zone to do the thing we love? Is it a downside or is it something that enriches our lives and makes us stronger humans? It’s probably a combination of all those things, but I’ll get right to the point.


I had the awesome opportunity to narrate Danger Zone for Audible. Although I’d been in a recording studio before (my background is in television, commercials and voice overs) it had been years and narrating a full book was definitely new territory for me. I came out of the experience definitely stronger, but I was sure nervous while I was in the middle of it.


So, my question is… have you done anything out of your comfort zone that made you a stronger person or gave you confidence that you didn’t feel you had previously?
********
Apologies to those who commented yesterday. We had to repost due to technical difficulties and lost those comments.

18 comments:

JB Lynn said...

Great first post, Dee!

I don't think it's possible to grow without going outside of our comfort zones. I think I fail more than I succeed when I do so, but I always come out the other side stronger.

Dee J. said...

JB Lynn,

Thanks! I agree. I'm fairly proficient at failing. LOL. But I definitely feel stronger and better prepared for the next time! Thanks for stopping by!

Elise Warner said...

Going outside our comfort zones increases our awareness of life and that's what it's all about. Terrific post, Dee.

Dee J. said...

Elise,

Thanks! I agree with you 100%! It's also exhilarating in a sick-to-your-stomach kind of way. LOL.

Dee J. said...

Hey all... Just FYI, I have a list of everyone who commented so even though we lost the comments yesterday, everyone is still in the running to win Danger Zone.

Any my apologies for the blog snafu.

Maria Powers said...

Well, interesting. I left a comment yesterday but it disappeared when I came back today. I can't wait for the next book Dee J. As for my comfort zone, I am frequently out of it on my writing journey, but that is why it is so much fun. It's a roller coaster ride. I've belted myself in and I am enjoying the ride.

Lynne Marshall said...

Hi Dee J - love your book cover!

Way back in high school, I was a closet thespian. I knew all the lyrics to Broadway play musicals, danced around my livingroom to West Side Story - you get the picture. But no one knew this was my passion. When I was 14 I heard about a youth play putting on West Side story - fudged about my age, as you had to be 16. Tried out and got a dancing role - I got to hang out with the older cool teens and dance and sing in my favorite play all summer. Great experience, and I'll never forget it. Come the fall I tried out for all the school musicals and always landed the second female lead.

TMI - I know - but you asked for it! :)

Kathy Ivan said...

Hi Dee J.

Great post, even if it did get a bit "wonky on the web."

I think we all have to step out of our comfort zones occasionally or we don't continue to grow, espeically as writers. If we take the easy way out or do the expected, the reader knows it and the book isn't half as good as it could have been.

Dee J. said...

Maria,

Thanks for stopping by a second time! No worries, your name is still in the hat from yesterday (as is everyone who commented). This writing thing is a hell of a journey, right? Glad you're strapped in. (Sounds like you might be ready for a race car drive. LOL.)

Dee J. said...

Hi Lynne!

You've been keeping secrets! I didn't know this about you. Sounds like you and I have even more in common with the acting bug. Thanks for not giving up on the blog. LOL. (P.S. I love my cover too!!)

Dee J. said...

Hi Kathy,

Yes, the Web often mystifies me. I agree with you about stepping out of a comfort zone. If nothing else, it makes life interesting! Thanks for coming by!

Rita said...

Every time I do something new or different it's actually outside my comfort zone. But the only way to learn is to do something outside your comfort zone. Can't learn or experience new and better things if we don't get out there and try.

Dee J. said...

Rita,

I agree! If we don't try, we'll never know what amazing things we might be missing! Thanks for stopping by!

G Cochrane said...

Most communication on the internet is outside my comfort zone, such as blogging and social media. Yet, I keep plugging away at it, and have learned a lot in a short time.

Enjoyed your post.

Dee J. said...

Hi Gayle,

OMG, you've hit on my most giant weakness... the internet! I'm horrible at all things electronic. I do continue to try, but I think I'd rather stand up in front of a thousand people before I try to figure out coding and whatnot for blogs and such. I shiver at the word "code." LOL.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Great post, Dee! And congratulations on Danger Zone. What I love most about going out of my comfort zone is the feeling of accomplishment I get after learning something new and scary. Like blogging. :-)

Dee J. said...

Hi Marcelle!

LOL. Thank you. And you've got that right on the blogging thing. This one sure kicked my butt the last two days. I have to thank Toni for fixing it and giving me a do-over today. Yay Toni!!! My hero!

Thanks for stopping by!

Dee J. said...

We have a winner...

Natalie, you won a digital copy of Danger Zone! Email me with your email address and I'll send it off.

deej.adams1@gmail.com

Congrats!
And thanks to everyone who commented the last two days! I really appreciate it.

Dee J.

More Popular Posts