NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

You're Among Friends Here

So, how many of you know when the Not Your Usual Suspects blog launched? You might be surprised to know it was on December 13, 2010. That means our blog is nearing our sixth anniversary! Wow! It seems nuts that it's been that long, but it has.

Oh, and guess who wrote the very FIRST post which started: "On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me …a super cool, hip, new blog to share with fans, family and friends?"

Yep, that was me. Since then our blog has grown to encompass several more wonderful writers. While we've lost a few along the way for one reason or the other, surprisingly, our numbers have mostly grown. Most of the writers whose blogs you read here have gone on to become wonderful friends of mine. One of them is even my sister (Hi, Sandy Parks!).

I had no idea when I wrote those opening words to the very first Not Your Usual Suspects blog that several of the women and men of this blog would go on to become such cool friends who would share the many ups and downs of my publishing career. But they did and I'm ever grateful for it. Some I've yet to meet in person, but we still support each other virtually. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!

For the past several years those of us who are able to make the Romance Writers of America annual conference make an effort to meet and talk about our past year's publishing experience. This year was no different. In July, five of us NYUS bloggers met over breakfast to share insights to the business and share our successes and frustrations. I look forward to it every year.

Below is a picture of us (left to right): Sandy Parks, Sharon Calvin, Anne Marie Becker, me and Dee Adams. Just ignore the glazed looks and dark circles under our eyes from a weekend of little to no sleep. We didn't mind a bit because we were among friends. And now that you're here -- so are you!

9 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

Love this blog, Julie! And I really love the part of RWA (or whatever conference) when we can meet up, too. It's so helpful to have a chance to touch base in person, but I love our loop and our blog, too. :D

And I had no idea we were nearly 6 years old already. Or that you did the first post. I think I came along in late 2011. :) Thanks for the bit of NYUS history!

Julie Moffett said...

Awww...it is really nice having such a sweet, fun, supportive group of writer friends. Love you guys!!!

Toni Anderson said...

I think you all look stunning in the photo! I really love this group too. It could easily have fallen by the wayside. We are all so busy. But this group is super supportive and makes me very happy. :) <3 :)

Marcelle Dubé said...

Cool pic, Julie! Thanks for sharing it and reminding us how long we've been together. I haven't met a single of you in person, but you are all dear to me.

jean harrington said...

What a lovely tribute, Julie. It's good to be reminded of what was and is.

Elise Warner said...

I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Lovely photo of lovely authors. Here's to the future. Lifts a glass of champagne.

Rita said...

What a great photo! I think we should have a virtual party.

Sandy Parks said...

Enjoyed the blog, Julie, and yes, Rita, we should have a virtual party sometime. Maybe even invite lots of reader friends to join us. It could even be a big Christmas party or New Years or, oh well, you get the idea.

CathyP said...

I love that this blog is still going strong!

I've met a few of you at conferences but this group is so supportive -- we should definitely have a virtual party!

More Popular Posts