NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, August 19, 2016

A WRITER'S BUCKET LIST

I’ve been feeling my mortality lately. I suspect it has to do with reaching a certain milestone birthday (don’t ask).

As a result, I started thinking about all the people I know who have created bucket lists. These lists include everything from jumping out of airplanes (are you nuts?), to swimming with sharks (ain’t gonna happen) to taking on a younger lover (well, maybe).

Should I have a bucket list? What on Earth could I possibly put on it? I’ve kind of done the things I really wanted to do. Except for going to Ireland and I’ll be going in the spring. But there’s a whole lot I haven’t done in the writing department. Stories that would challenge me and definitely pull me out of my comfort zone. Before I die, I would love to write:

An amazing western. I grew up reading Zane Grey and Louis L’Amour. I loved the delineation between the good guys and the bad guys, the clear stakes, the sense of honour. I’d love to write a story that would make the reader feel the way I felt when I read westerns.

A great love story. Everyone knows I’m no romantic, but I think I’ve got one great romantic story in me. A cross between Wuthering Heights (Oh, Heathcliff…) and Casablanca (Play it, Sam). I don’t see how it can end well, but man will it make ‘em cry!

A thriller. This goes against my grain as a writer. I write quiet, character-driven stories. But just once, I’d love to write a story that keeps the reader up way too late, heart beating fast, nails bitten to the quick.

A scary book. It could be psychological suspense, I suppose, but I’m thinking full-blown horror, just because that stuff scares the bejeezus out of me. Imagine: being scared by a story you’ve written! I may chicken out on this one. I can’t help but think there are places in your subconscious you shouldn’t visit…

Maybe once I’ve taken those on, I’ll come up with another list, but these will keep me busy for a while. How about you? What’s on your writer’s bucket list?




10 comments:

jean harrington said...

Marcelle, I LOVED your post. Ireland, young lovers, a Heathcliffean hero, man, we're soul sisters. What say we meet for marguaritas (sp?) sometime? Seriously.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Margaritas? My one alcoholic beverage weakness! I am so there, Jean!

Elise Warner said...

1. A romance (complete with fancy gowns.)2. girl meets boy, girl gets boy,boy dumps girl, girl gets the man of my dreams--whoops- her dreams.)Another trip to Italy and another to Australia would be nice. Fun post, Marcelle.

Anne Marie Becker said...

Never thought about my "writer's bucket list," but what a great idea. I've always wanted to write a screenplay, or adapt a novel into a movie (doesn't even have to be my own novel, but that would be a bonus!). :) I've thought about writing a kids' series and a contemporary romance series, too. I also want to be able to rent a beach house for, like, 2 months and do some serious contemplating and writing (of course).

Happy belated milestone birthday, and enjoy that trip to Ireland when it comes around. Sounds like something fabulous to look forward to!!

Marcelle Dubé said...

Thanks, Elise. I like your bucket list!

@ Anne Marie -- a screenplay... hmmm... great idea! Also the beach house. I'd be down with that.

Rita said...

Oh! So many good ideas. Anne a screenplay would be daunting. Such a different way of writing. Margaritas? Where? I'm there.
Thanks for the great post Marcelle.

Marcelle Dubé said...

@ Rita You can never go wrong with margaritas...

CathyP said...

I ran away to the coast and didn't check in on Friday (my bad!)

My writing bucket list - finish the blasted book that "haunts" me!

Maureen A. Miller said...

You are still so young, my release mate! There are plenty of adventures in store for you!

Marcelle Dubé said...

You go, Cathy!

Maureen, you're a sweetie pie.

More Popular Posts