NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, September 11, 2015

There Could be a Story There...

My husband and I are planning our first vacation in a long time -- a five-day trip to New Orleans. I've attempted to visit there twice before, but something happened both times to stymie my plans. Once it was a hurricane, then I got mononucleosis! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed this time.

New Orleans seems like such a fascinating place, the sort of city where anything could happen, a great place to set a suspense story.

All the right elements are there -- the mystique of old southern charm, all those creepy cemeteries with their above-ground graves, and of course, the lure of voodoo and other types of magic.

New Orleans Magic Store

New Orleans Voodoo Store

Hey, I think I might be able to find a tax write-off for part of this vacation! because while I'm searching through all those wonderful magic shops and antebellum homes, I'll bet I can come up with some new ideas to get my muse excited.

I mean, what writer couldn't conjure up the bones of a good story in a setting like that? So what am I planning to see while I'm there?

Well, of course I'll go see out the tomb of local voodoo queen Marie Laveau.

She was quite famous from what I read. The sort of fodder one could base a story upon.


I'll have to stop by Cafe du Monde for some authentic New Orleans beignets. Maybe all that powdered sugar will give me some ideas, or the strong coffee will at least keep me up all night for the partying.

Speaking of which, I'll also be sure to check out the famous nightlife. (The live kind outside of the graveyards.)

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar is on top of the list, along with The Spotted Cat Music Club. Give a girl enough Hurricanes to drink and she's bound to get into trouble worthy of a story. Maybe even a whole series!

So wish me luck in The Big Easy. I'll tell you what happens...

10 comments:

Maureen A. Miller said...

Watch out for those Hurricanes...and I mean the ones in a glass. :) They go down too easy. I know your writing. You're going to come up with something awesome from this trip!

Wynter said...

Thanks, Maureen. I'll heed that warning!

CathyP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CathyP said...

Recovery from Katrina has been a slow rebuilding for New Orleans but its heart lives! Have a wonderful time and tell us ... most... of your adventures ;)

Rediscovered there is no edit function once you hit enter. And of course you don't see the glaring typo until you do.

Anne Marie Becker said...

Definitely a city of mystery and suspense. So much history there. Hope you have a great (and healthy!) trip and let us know what/who you find! :D

Wynter said...

Thanks, Cathy. I'll share pictures and hopefully have a new book to write!

Wynter said...

Will do, Anne Marie. I can't wait!

Marcelle Dubé said...

Have fun, Wynter! And don't forget to report back.

Wynter said...

You bet, Marcelle. But my report might be edited. What happens in NOLA stays in NOLA ;-)

Elise Warner said...

Can't wait to read the book. Keep us posted.

More Popular Posts