NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

CUSP

1.   : point, apex: asa : a point of transition (as from one historical period to the next) : turning point; also : edge, verge <on the cusp of stardom>
(from Merriam-Webster online dictionary)


 A cusp is a point that marks the beginning of a change. Being on the cusp of something means you are facing change, usually a big change.

Cusps are uncomfortable things. There’s always a “bated breath” feel about them, a hovering between things past and things future, with only uncertainty ahead—and possible instability, insecurity and dismay.

Maybe that’s just me.

That’s where I am now: teetering on the edge of a new beginning. I am about to retire. After 45 years of working (I started very, very young), I am now contemplating a life free of wage work and structure, free of determining my days according to someone else’s priorities.

I’ve been looking forward to it for years. I’ve enjoyed my working life tremendously, but just thinking of all the free time I will have to write leaves me giddy with joy. It sounds like a grand adventure, doesn’t it?

But that’s the thing about adventures: they are uncomfortable, sometimes even dangerous. What if I’m leaving too early? Should I have a fatter cushion before I throw myself off the ledge?

And what about the social aspects? I’m an introvert, so I get most of my social needs met at work, interacting with colleagues and clients. Will I now turn into that strange lady who lives down the street?

The future is a little murky.

But really, is it that much different from how I write my stories? With every story I start, I am sailing off into the darkness, with no idea where I’m going or what’s going to happen…

<gulp>

I may be in trouble…

But… I mean… the process works for me. I never know where I’m going to end up in my stories, but that’s what keeps the process interesting for me. It keeps me writing. So, maybe we all have our own ways of coping with change, and cusps. Maybe this retirement thing will work out, after all.

Now, please excuse me—I have to go check my sails.

What about you? Any “cusps” in your life? How have you dealt with the major changes you’ve encountered? With panic? Grace? 


5 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

Love this post, Marcelle, and I wish you a happy, happy retirement. I feel like I've been on the cusp (love that word, BTW) of something all year, but don't know what. I've just had this angsty, crossroads-type feeling for months. Not sure why or what's around the corner, but I'm trying to be patient and just go with the flow. ;)

Marcelle Dubé said...

Anne Marie, I know, eh? It's as if your subconscious knows something but isn't ready to share with you yet. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop all the time.

jean harrington said...

Marcelle, Marcelle, Marcelle, You're French, for Pete's sake. You're heading into C'est la vie! Have a glass of wine. Two. Any number, relax into the moment. Eat chocolate, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Seriously, of course, you're scared. You're starting a whole new way of life, and like any adventure that can be intimidating. But, I swear to you, it's going to be wonderful. I'll argue ad hominem here: mine has been. How's that for proof?

Marcelle Dubé said...

Jean, you just made my day. Thanks!

CathyP said...

Yikes! Missed this post because I'm still rockin' the day job. Marcelle, I'm right there with you, wondering at what point you pull the trigger and move into whatever that next phase includes. Can't wait to hear how you tackle retirement. Let us know how it evolves :)

More Popular Posts