NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sneak Peek - Jefferson Blythe, Esquire


I had three blogs due this week, so I’m fudging a bit with a sneak peek for my New Adult novel out November 16th from Carina Press. Jefferson Blythe, Esquire is a kooky mix of comedy, travelogue and romance. It’s a mystery of course, but it’s really not like anything I’ve done before. And I don’t want to say more than that.

 

Anyway, there will be a huge launch party over on myFacebook page on the 15th and tons of prizes and goodies will be given away, but I thought it would be fun to do a giveaway here as well.

 

So answer the questions below and one random commenter will win a hardcover copy of The Grand Tour: Around the World with the Queen of Mystery by Agatha Christie. I received this book as a gift a couple of Christmases ago and it’s a really fascinating glimpse both into Christie’s mind and a world of travel that no longer exists.

 

1 - Poirot or Marple?

2 - Professor Plum or Miss Scarlet?

3 - Marlowe or Spade?

 

The Blurb:

In this fast, fun and dead-sexy male/male new-adult caper from multi-award-winning author Josh Lanyon, twentysomething Jefferson Blythe gets lost, gets found, falls in love and comes out...all in the span of one wild summer. 

After his first relationship goes disastrously awry, Jeff Blythe uses his savings to tour Europe—the old-fashioned way. Armed with his grandfather's1960 copy of Esquire's Europe in Style, Jeff sets off looking for adventure but finds much, much more than he bargained for... 

In London, dodging questions from shady criminals about a mysterious package he most certainly does not have is simple. Losing the gunmen who are convinced he's someone else is not. And when George, an old friend, offers him help—and a place to stay, and perhaps something more—things become complicated. 

Is George really who he seems? And is Jeff finally ready to act on his attraction? 

From Paris to Rome and back again, Jeff and George fall for each other, hard, while quite literally running for their lives. But trusting George at his word may leave Jeff vulnerable—in more ways than one.

 

A Romantic Times Top Pick!

 

 

The Peek:

The little café was situated right at the junction of rue Lepic and rue Cauchois, and when I came outside, I must have turned the wrong way because the next thing I knew I was on rue Cauchois. It was an old and quiet street, old buildings—mostly residential. It did not look even vaguely familiar.

Thinking it would be simple to cut through the web of narrow side streets and then intersect with rue Lepic, I didn’t turn back like I should have. Nope, I kept walking, turned down another small street, followed it for a ways, and then, deciding that I was traveling in the general right direction, turned down another narrow street. And then the next. And then the next.

And then I was lost.

But I knew I needed to keep heading downhill, away from the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur, so that seemed simple enough. Keep winding my way downhill and hopefully I’d bump into rue Lepic again, find metro Blanche and get back to my hotel before dawn.

There were not as many people as before, and very few tourists. I wasn’t nervous, but I also wasn’t giddy with delight.

I kept walking, kept heading…west? West was right, wasn’t it?

Why did I not have a better brain for directions?

Why hadn’t I taken the Metro?

Why did all these fucking streets seem to lead deeper and deeper into the maze?

At that point the caffeine from the coffee and the sugar from the crème brûlée must have kicked in, dispelling the last fumes of alcohol. I stopped walking and got my phone out.

There were very few street lamps and light was very poor. Motorbikes and a couple of cars nearly blocked the narrow street in one direction. In the other there was a row of metal trash bins that looked like tin pepper pots. Ivy grew up the walls of the buildings, which were typical of French architecture in the 1800s: pastel stone and brick, iron cresting, and steep mansard roofs.

Where the hell was I?

I spotted a red-and-blue sign a few feet away and started toward it, using my phone as a flashlight.

Something whizzed past my hand, the sign seemed to crinkle in the center, and I heard a weird pop. I didn’t recognize the sound. It was more like a thunk than a bang, but either way, it was as though an invisible hand had reached past me to punch the sign.

As I stared at that ominous divot, like the bull’s-eye in a target, there was another pop. The side mirror on the car beside me shattered.

A shot. I was being shot at.

I ducked down beside the car, then realized I was probably still on the same side as the shooter. I half ran, half crawled around the front of the car. The tire next to me suddenly deflated, the hissing accompanied by two loud pops.

No. No. No. This could not be happening again. It just…couldn’t.


 

You can preorder at Amazon, B&N, Kobo and all the usual places--and don't forget to comment below!

 

 

 

 

  

18 comments:

KC said...

Awesomeness! Can't wait for Jefferson's adventures! :-)
Poirot!; um...neither; Marlowe.

Unknown said...

Ooh, I can't wait for this! Those questions, however... A bit of a Sophie's choice.

1. Poirot, because I love to exercise my little grey cells.
2. Miss Scarlet, because she has way more fun.
3. Spade, because Bogey, always.

Love this. Thanks!

Janet said...

1. I love both characters, but will go with Miss Marple
2. Professor Plum - of course
3. Philip Marlowe - another of course

I loved the sneak peek. I'm looking forward to reading the entire story SOON!

Maite said...

Miss Marple...
Professor Plum
Marlowe of course!

Love the sneak peak... Can't wait!

Unknown said...

Poirot because he was the first Christie I read
Professor Plum just because
Spade.

Looking forward to reading this.

SteveL said...

I have to go with Maite on this.

Miss Marple...
Professor Plum
Marlowe of cou

Mr. Pinkerton said...

Miss Poirot
Professor Scarlet
Sparlowe

Actually I really like Poirot, but I haven't finished my coffee so I can't commit further.

Audra said...

Poirot was my first. I love him.

Miss Scarlet, just because.

And Marlowe. Always Marlowe.

Anonymous said...

Poirot--of course...who can resist when he uses his little gray cells.
Miss Scarlet--she's more fun than Professor Plum
Philip Marlowe

JBE sounds like a blast and I can't wait to read it. It's pre-ordered of course.

--Judy S
j dot stonewright at gmail dot com

Rita said...

Wonderful! Super congrats. Wishing you many sales.

Anonymous said...

I preordered the book the moment it was on amazon. Can't wait! Poirot, miss Scarlet and P.Marlowe.

goge

booksandmore said...

Poirot... He seems a bit more logical
Miss Scarlet, though Cluedo is not really my thing
Sam Spade because of the Maltese Falcon

Cheryll Athorp said...

Poirot , Miss Scarlet and Spade

Marcelle Dubé said...

What fun! Congratulations, Josh.

Barbra said...

1. Marple
2. Plum
3. Marlowe

The giveaway book sounds wonderful! Thanks for the chance. :-)

jennysmum2000 said...

I can't wait for the book, and thanks for the giveaway
Poirot - AC was what came after Nancy Drew!
Miss Scarlett
Marlowe, probably!
:-)

Toni Anderson said...

Looks fabulous, Josh!

Josh Lanyon said...

And our winner is...da da!!!! HALDIS!

Haldis, drop me a line and we will work out the shipping arrangements.

Congratuations--and thank you to everyone who took the time to read and comment. :-)

More Popular Posts