NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Setting - Your Own Backyard



They say 'write what you know.' As for setting, that usually means placing a story in my home state of Florida. For two of my favorite romantic suspense novels, that's exactly what I did. Not that I haven't taken steps out of my comfort zone and set stories in The Unites Arab Emirates, London, different US locales, but my setting of choice is always the Sunshine State.

Not only am I the most comfortable writing about Florida, but because I live in one of the vacation capitals of the world, I think people are interested in that setting. At least, I hope they are.

Several of my books are set in the hustle and bustle of Miami, but I've taken many out of the limelight and relocated them to the lesser known areas of the state, the northern, swampy part, which lends itself to creepier, and paranormal stories.

I rarely locate books in my hometown of Orlando, but BURNING TOUCH is one exception. I was looking for a wealthy bedroom community that would be close to an area that harbored a seedy underbelly of BDSM nightclubs. Welcome to Winter Park, Florida, right next door to Orlando, where one can find any flavor of perversion.

Yeah, it's that kind of book!

TROPIC OF TROUBLE takes place in Miami, and revolves around a valuable stolen Shakespeare volume and a bookworm in distress.

Both best-selling suspense novels are now bundled in one volume. BURNING TOUCH and TROPIC OF TROUBLE are together for $2.99.


Here's a little about BURNING TOUCH:

When Devon Wise’s massage clients start turning up dead, she reluctantly leans on the sexy guy next door to help her clear her name. Having lost her parents at an early age, she doesn’t trust that anyone she cares about will stick around. Devon never lets her feelings get involved, keeping everyone at arm’s length. But after their first sizzling night, she can’t get enough.


Real estate investor Ben Stafford can’t keep his mind—or his hands—off the earthy beauty who happens to be his new neighbor. When the bodies begin piling up, he wonders if she’s as innocent as she claims or if he’s been spending all those lust-filled nights with a killer.

And here's a little about TROPIC OF TROUBLE:

When Kelsey Ackerman’s assistant at her used bookstore is murdered, the police label it a botched robbery by a desperate drug addict. But Kelsey suspects the perpetrator was looking for a rare Shakespeare volume that someone unknowingly donated. Now a killer’s sights are set on Kelsey.


Jail guard Jason Jones only wants to protect her, but after suffering a controlling father and an abusive ex-husband, Kelsey wants nothing to do with the confident, hot sergeant. Until the danger becomes crystal clear, and the only man who can save her is the very man she can’t resist.

10 comments:

Anne Marie Becker said...

My previous books have been set far from home (but still in cities I've visited), but I decided to set my new series much closer to home. It's been fun, since I don't have to look up as many setting details!

Your book sounds hot and steamy! Florida is the perfect setting for it. ;)

Wynter said...

Thanks, Anne Marie. I only wish I'd lived more places. Then I'd have more to draw from!

Marcelle Dubé said...

Cool stories, Wynter. I've set my stories at home (the Yukon) and as far away as Morocco, not to mention outer space. Oh, and other planets. :-)

Wynter said...

Oooh! Outer space!!! I'd love to do that research, Marcelle.

Rita said...

I used a location I'm not familiar with in Under Fire The Admiral. But I have been in the jungle just not Ecuador. New book has locations in the NE I haven't visited. How about us taking a group road trip?

Toni Anderson said...

Road trip with Rita. I'm in!
I use places I've been to and places I haven't. I do A LOT of research though LOL. I love Florida. You Winter Park sounds HOT! :)

Wynter said...

Road trip sounds like a blast! What sort of trouble could mystery and suspense authors find? Hmm...

Maureen A. Miller said...

Love this cover, Wynter. And as some of you know...I'm kind of partial (fanatical) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, so yes, I love Florida too. Great setting!

jean harrington said...

Wynter, your book blurb reads hot, hot, hot. A great lure to a great read. Good for you! And, BTW, I'm a Floridian too and have set my Deva Dunne mysteries here in Naples.

Wynter said...

Yay - more Florida lovers!!Thanks, Maureen and Jean.

More Popular Posts