NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, July 14, 2014

Who Do You Least Suspect?

The title of this post is probably a little deceiving, but you'll see why...

I have to admit to some excitement this month because three weeks from today is the release of Imminent Danger. The fifth book in the Adrenaline Highs series. I'm looking forward to sharing Abbey and Blake's book and bringing back a couple of characters that people might not have expected.  Here's my most awesome cover for Imminent Danger!



Have you ever written - or read - a character without any expectations of seeing them again, then all of a sudden they show up (in another book) and it's like visiting with friends you didn't realize you had? Maybe that's why I'm so jazzed about this book. I hope to surprise people and show that what you see isn't always what you get.

I'm curious if you've ever read a character in a series...never expecting them to be a hero or heroine in their own book. Some characters are so quiet until all of a sudden they're in front of the crowd (in my head) raising their hand saying, "I want a happily ever after!" And I can't really deny them because I WANT them to have that HEA.

So I'd love to know if you were ever surprised to find a character - and I'm not talking a secondary character, but someone even further down the line - in a series have their own book. Were your expectations met?

P.S. I've got an Imminent Danger countdown happening on my FB page and blog. Stop in for snippets 2 times a day! (Some are suspenseful. Some are fun. Some are sexy.)

Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Goodreads

9 comments:

J Wachowski said...

Hey Dee--
Congrats on the new book! & yes, absolutely. :)
I studies theater for a while and actors know every character is the hero of their own story. Sometimes, my mind wanders off, giving the grocery clerk a back story that explains who he's such a grump today? ;)

Dee J. said...

Hi J,
Thanks! It's so true! Plus the characters who are so small we may not think much about until BAM, one day they have their own story! Thanks for dropping in!

Robena Grant said...

Hi, Dee J.
I'm looking forward to this read, congrats! on the upcoming release. I love strong secondary characters and always want to know more about them. It will be interesting to see who got his or her own story in your writing world. ; )

Marcelle Dubé said...

Congratulations on you upcoming release, Dee J. I love seeing a secondary character from one book pop up as the main character in another one. It enriches both stories.

Anne Marie Becker said...

Oh, I love when I get to revisit old friends (ahem, characters). ;) Congrats on the upcoming release - and a quote from Suzanne Brockmann!! Awesome.

Sam Beck said...

Congratulations on your upcoming release! Can't wait to read Imminent Danger.

I have not only read characters who later, unexpectedly, turned out to get their own stories...I've written 'em! :}

Dee J. said...

Hi Robena,
Thanks! I'm excited to share this one! (Not to mention a couple of future stories!) hope you enjoy it! Thanks for dropping in!


Hi Marcelle,
Thank you! And I agree...I love reading those secondary characters who get their own books! And when they cross over from different series it's a even more fun! Thanks for stopping by!


Hi Anne Marie,
Thank you! I love revisiting old friends too! And yes, I was so lucky to get a quote from Suz! She's an awesome lady and one of my inspirations! Thanks for dropping in!


Hi Samanthe,
Thank you! I know you've written them because I've been reading them! LOL. Thanks for dropping in!

Lynne Marshall said...

I can't think of any examples, but I have often wondered about certain characters in books I've read and wished I had the chance to know more about them.

I suspect I know which characters you're talking about since I've already read and loved this book, and all I can say is - your readers will be delighted!

Dee J. said...

Hi Lynne,
Thank you! The story wouldn't be what it is without you! Thanks for your great input! (And I'm really glad you love it too. LOL.)

More Popular Posts