NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Wonder Skills Of Our Heroines

I can't cook.

There. I confessed it.

I can cook, but Gordon Ramsey will not be giving me any endorsements any time soon.  This weekend I attempted something as simple as a yellow cake.  I took it out of the oven and it looked beautiful. One second later, the middle caved in and I had Kilimanjaro on a platter.  Yes, I did the logical thing and filled the crater with icing, but the observation  made later was that my cake was 'chewy'. 

Sometimes I feel that I am a failure to my sex, but I keep trying.  I do have a select menu of items that I can prepare and am quite good at. Some of the mundane things, though--ehh--still working on it.


What does this confession have to do with writing? Only once did I abuse the privileges of fiction and make my heroine a culinary wizard. In WIDOW'S TALE, Serena Murphy ran a restaurant/bar in Maine.  She mastered lobster bisque.  God, I love fiction!  Any of my other heroines have managed to avoid cooking confrontations at least.

Aside from our heroines being strong, bright, determined, kick-ass--have you ever given your heroine a skill that you don't possess? Or as a reader, have you ever read of a trait a heroine had that you wish you possessed?


13 comments:

Wendy Soliman said...

You are not alone, my dear. I can't cook, either. Well, I can and I do, but I HATE IT with a passion. But at least you attempted to bake a cake. Kudos to you.

Maureen A. Miller said...

Time is never on my side. Perhaps if there was more time I'd excel more. :)

Elise Warner said...

I enjoy cooking...it's the cleaning up I hate. My heroine is a lot braver than I am. She'll go after a killer despite the odds.

jean harrington said...

I had a neighbor once who sent her children off to college and said to her husband, "Harry, my kitchen is closed." I've admired her ever since.

Wendy, think canned goods, think frozen, think Trader Joe's.

Maureen A. Miller said...

I agree about the cleaning up part, Elise. :)

Jean, I'm a fan of 'boxed' food. :) Although that cake came from a box. LOL

J Wachowski said...

Box food is how everyone starts!
The first thing I remember cooking used 3 cans and a "box" of noodles. :)

Wynter said...

I'm a great cook, but my heroines have some mad skills I only dream of. I have one who is an artist, another a master gardener. (I have a brown thumb!) Still another is a concert musician while I can't carry a tune in a bucket!

Rita said...

Oh! YES! My first book the heroine is a helicopter pilot. I HATE helicopters. Something happens and they have the glide path of a rock. The only reason they fly is they beat the air into submission.

Anne Marie Becker said...

My heroines can kick butt. Not sure I could, unless the chips were down, but I hope I never have to find out. LOL (And really, the best part of the cake is the frosting - I'm sure you nailed that! LOL)

Ana Barrons said...

People cook?

Maureen A. Miller said...

Julie, my problem is that I "started" many years ago. LOL!

Wynter, here I thought all along that you were a concert musician.

Rita, "The only reason they fly is they beat the air into submission." -- now you tell me there isn't a little bit of you in your heroines?! :)

Anne Marie, it was damn good frosting!

Ana, I adore you. :)

Marcelle Dubé said...

Maureen, you must be my long-lost sister! I am not a cook, either. However I can clean a kitchen to within an inch of its life.

Toni Anderson said...

I can cook, but I can't bake a cake! I also fill in the crater with icing :) You've just reminded me I need to attempt a carrot cake this weekend (hubs birthday next week :))

Traits heroines have that I wish I had... patience, flat stomachs, nice hair. Determination and upper body strength.

:)

More Popular Posts