NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Winter Romance

I must apologize here. I ran into a time crunch, so I am recycling an older blog post I did for the Carina Press blog a few years ago...


****

I never wanted to be married, but I did -- being romantic by nature (no matter what anybody says) always want to have that certain special someone of my own. As it turned out, it took me quite a while to find that someone and by then I was just a little bit set in my ways. Granted, I was set in my ways -- and rather eccentric ways they are -- from the time I was about twelve, so learning to be part of a couple…well, let’s just say I had a learning curve. And in fact, I’m still driving that long and winding road. But I haven’t lost a passenger yet, so maybe that’s a point in my favor.


 
What I do remember keenly from that long period of time when I flying solo, was how lonely the holidays are when you’re not in a relationship. Sometimes even when you are in a relationship, if it’s the wrong relationship. Forget Valentine’s Day. I think the run up from Thanksgiving to New Year’s is the hardest on singletons. It was for me, anyway.



I think it partly ties into the fact that the winter holidays are such a nostalgic time. We tend to make the effort to get together with family and friends as we don’t during the rest of the year, and there’s often a lot of reminiscing. We find ourselves confronting many of our unrealized dreams, past and future. We find ourselves comparing the way things were with how they are today -- and let’s face it, for most of us, today is a lot more complicated and stressful than yesterday. Let alone yesteryear when our biggest worry was whether Santa would override our parents and bring that pony we so desperately needed.


 Nor does it help that we’re bombarded with advertising featuring happy couples buying each other romantic and expensive presents as proof of undying devotion. It is, after all, the Season of Love. Love in all its facets, including romantic love. There’s no getting around it.



And we’ve all pretty much been there. We’ve all had our turn at being (what feels like) the only one of our friends not happily paired up, the only sibling that can’t seem to settle down, the one on the phone getting the busy signal when we call late on Christmas Eve hoping for a word…


 
And the songs! It’s either walking in a winter wonderland or slicing open your wrists with a cookie cutter.


Yeesh. Like Sam the Snowman says in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, “Tell me when it’s over!” 


 Anyway, now days I have someone to roust out of bed on Christmas morning and drag along to see the nieces and nephews open their gifties. Afterwards we go see a movie (we’re thinking The Hobbit this year), and then it’s back home to open our own presents to each other, then back to the folks for the traditional feast. We’re building our own holiday traditions. And it is…well, it’s nice. It’s not like the Hallmark commercials, but it’s pretty darned good. And there’s no better time of year to count your blessings.



When I write a Christmas story like Icecapade, I deliberately draw on those old dark feelings -- the loneliness, the restlessness, that desire to have someone to share the good stuff -- and the bad -- and the uneasy conviction that you’re just not meant to be with anyone, that you’re not one of the lucky ones. I re-explore those feelings and I complicate things, and make life difficult for everyone, and then I give my characters the happy holiday, the happy ending -- no, the happy beginning of a life shared with another.  I can’t give the real thing to all my readers, but I can give stories that reaffirm my own feeling that love is there if you’re willing to work for it -- and that the holidays are a magical time of year.


 

8 comments:

jean harrington said...

Hey Josh, Your Christmas sounds just about perfect to me. Have a great one again this year.

Josh Lanyon said...

Thanks, Jean! Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Rita said...

I sooo very much wish there was a way to stop all the media Christmas madness. I don't like the idea someone who is sitting in a cubical in a big city high can dictate what should make me happy. Peace to all. Thanks Josh.

Helena said...

I re-read Icecapapde recently, and I think you capture those feeling perfectly. I'm glad you have your own SO now!

Antonella said...

Hi, Josh! Thank you very much for recycling this post. Apparently I had missed it the first time round.

Well, I think that some of the ''festivities blues'' is psychological. I mean, even if you are single you can have friends and interesting things to do (apart from reading).

This said, I often think of people feeling lonely or living in precarious situations, this must for sure worse around Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year.

Have a great holiday!

Ciao

Antonella

KC said...

Beautiful post, Josh! Glad you wrote it :-) Made me understand a bit better why Icecapade is my all-time favorite romantic/winter story.
Happy holidays to you and your loved ones!

Anne Marie Becker said...

Beautiful post, Josh. And oh, the nostalgia... I don't think I'm a particularly nostalgic person, but some of those Christmas carols definitely hit me in the heart and remind me of people no longer with us. So glad you found a special someone to share your holidays with. Merry Christmas to you both!

Steve Leonard said...

This says everything. ->> I can’t give the real thing to all my readers, but I can give stories that reaffirm my own feeling that love is there if you’re willing to work for it -- and that the holidays are a magical time of year.

More Popular Posts