NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, June 4, 2012

Sowing the Seeds of Murder: My favorite gardening and plant themed mysteries.

By Angela Henry
I have a confession to make, several actually. I hate gardening and yard work of any kind. I’ve never so much as cut grass in my life. And if you give me a potted plant, it’ll probably be dead in a week. But having said that, I do like plants and gardens and greatly admire people with green thumbs. I enjoy gardening and plant themed mysteries even more. Here are a few of my favorites.
Rosemary and Thyme: A British crime series featuring actresses Pam Farris and Felicity Kendal, which aired for three seasons from 2003 to 2007. Farris and Kendal portrayed Laura Thyme and Rosemary Boxer, who own a garden restoration business together and manage to unearth more than their share of murders.
Thyme of Death by Susan Wittig Albert-This is the first book in the China Bayles mystery series. Fed up with the corporate world China Bayles, a former lawyer, relocates to a small town and opens Thyme and Seasons herb shop. But even in tiny Pecan Springs, Texas evil can occur among ordinary people living everyday lives.
Mums the Word by Kate Collins-Abby Knight is the proud owner of her hometown flower shop, but a new low-cost competitor is killing her profits-and a black SUV just rammed her vintage Corvette in a hit-and-run. She's determined to track down the driver, but when the trail turns deadly, the next flower arrangement might be for her own funeral.
The Blue Rose By Anthony Eglin-Alex and Kate Sheppard have found the perfect house. But nothing stays perfect forever. Soon after moving in they make an impossibly exciting discovery. They find a blue rose bush flourishing in their walled garden. But as word of their discovery leaks out, the Sheppard's peaceful existence is shattered and they find themselves plunged into a world of coded journals, genetic experiments, cold-blooded greed, and, ultimately, murder.


So what about you guys? What are your favorite gardening mysteries?

7 comments:

Marcelle Dubé said...

I loved the Rosemary and Thyme series! I'm not much of a gardener, either, Angela, though I do manage to keep my indoor plants alive.

Elise Warner said...

Love Rosenary and Thyme but we've only seen one season in America-repeated over and over. I'd love to see the others. Living in an apartment, I have plants--hear about home-grown tomatoes and grow jealous.

Rita said...

I did not know of these! You have opened up a new world.

Shelley Munro said...

I love Rosemary and Thyme. Such fun. They're so nosy!
I haven't read the Blue Rose one, which sounds quite good.
Thanks for the rec.

The Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters deals with herbs and healing plus mysteries. They're quite good.

Toni Anderson said...

I've never heard of Rosemary and Thyme which is very strange. It looks great :) I don't know that I know any garden mysteries :) Maybe I spend too much time weeding my own. Will have to investigate :)

CathyP said...

If I plant it - the deer eat it.

Dorothy St James writes the White House Gardener mystery series that's a lot of fun

Wynter said...

I have never read any of those, must check them out. Like you, I'm not a successful gardener. I envy those who can grow things. My thumbs are brown!

More Popular Posts