NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Monday, August 6, 2012

Summer Reading



One of the reasons I've always loved summer is because it gave me a little more time than usual for my favorite pastime, reading. When I got my first job and had to work through the summer, I didn't have that extra time to read, but at least it before kids. I could usually find a way to squeeze in my reading. After the kids came along, just opening a book would be considered a small miracle. A novel I once might have finished in a day, took me a year to read. Still, when I could make an escape from a hectic day, I made it into the pages of a book.

Now that the kids are older, this summer I decided that as soon as I had some free time, I would make it a priority to read a few of the books that had been on my wish list or sitting on my Kindle for ages. I've made a slow but steady dent in my list. Just this past week, I've read three books and I'm confident I'll read at least another three or four before the summer is over. I'll try to sneak in some others during the busy school year, but it won't have the same secret, delicious joy of reading a book by the pool, at the beach, or on a lawn chair on the deck while the sun warms my hair and shoulders.

Here's a few of the books I've read (and others I hope to read) this summer:

The Witness by Nora Roberts
Slow Summer Kisses by Shannon Stacey
Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryden
Taken by Robert Crais
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Lethal by Sandra Brown
Smash Cut by Sandra Brown
Jungle of Deceit by Maureen A. Miller
Touch by Jus Accardo
Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb

What are you reading or have read this summer? Hey, it's never too early to plan my list for next summer!

6 comments:

Clare London said...

I don't know where to START.... LOL

I've gathered up a selection of ebooks for my holiday. I can only hope my week'd holiday somehow morphs into a month, to fit them all in :)

Here are some of them, in no special order:

The Brook Street series by Ava March
Precious Bane by Mary Webb (re-read)
Lover Mine by JR Ward (re-read - again! *g*)
One Last Lie by Rob Kaufman
Less Than All bt Lee Brazin
Turbulence (serial fiction) by Jordan Castillo Price
Short Stories by Edgar Allan Poe
Alike as Two Bees by Elin Gregory
The Dark Palazzo by Virginia Coffman
The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett.

Hmmm... there's a wide range of stuff there, I realise, from gothic horror to humour to steamy m/m romance! Roll on my holiday...

Shelley Munro said...

My summer is fast approaching, and my Kindle is loaded ready for my holiday. I'm currently reading Monster in My Closet, which I'm really enjoying. I'm also reading Unraveled by Elizabeth Norris - YA Thriller

JB Lynn said...

I'm reading Alexandra Sokoloff's (sp?) The Huntress and next up is Jennifer Hillier's FREAK.

Maureen A. Miller said...

I just read Dana Marton's THE SPY WORE SPURS because the horse in it was named after me. There's nothing like seeing, "Maureen snorted and whinnied". :)

Now I'm onto Allison Brennan's new novella.

Marcelle Dubé said...

I just finished reading Colin Cotterill's The Coroner's Lunch, a mystery set in 1970s Laos. It features a 70-year-old coroner who has no experience as a coroner. Now I'm going to go find the rest of the series.

Elise Warner said...

Mission to Paris by Alan Furst
Started Early, Took my Dog by Kate Atkinson
Dropped Names by Frank Langella
and waiting in my Nook Robert Caro's latest on Lyndon Johnson

Cotterill is really fun, isn't he, Marcelle.

So much to read, never enough time.

More Popular Posts