NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

A group blog featuring an international array of killer mystery, suspense, and romantic suspense writers. With premises and story lines different from your run-of-the-mill whodunits, we tend to write outside the box. We blog several times a week on all topics relating to romantic suspense and mystery, our writing, and our readers. We welcome all comments and often have guest bloggers. All our authors can be contacted separately, too, using their own social media links.

We find our genre delightfully, dangerously, and deliciously exciting - join us here, if you do too!

NOTE: the blog is currently dormant but please enjoy the posts we're keeping online.


Julie Moffet . Cathy Perkins . Jean Harrington . Daryl Anderson . Nico Rosso . Maureen A Miller . Sandy Parks . Lisa Q Mathews . Sharon Calvin . Lynne Connolly . Janis Patterson . Vanessa Keir . Tonya Kappes . Julie Rowe . Joni M Fisher . Leslie Langtry

Friday, July 15, 2011

Love Those Chase Scenes



The pursuit. The hunter and the hunted. Chase scenes are the primal throb of thrillers. Our palms sweat, our hearts pound and our blood races as we revel in the chase, whether by foot, animal or machine.

A good chase scene not only will have action and suspense but will also reveal character. Put Keanu Reeves, Harrison Ford, or Steve McQueen on motorcycles and you’re going to have three very different scenes. Here are a few of my favorite cinematic chases.



Raiders of the Lost Ark. A legend for all time. From “Truck? What truck?” Indiana Jones overtakes the truck by horse, tosses a few bad guys off, is shot and is thrown out the front window. The look on his face when the hood ornament bends and cracks off is classic Indy. Before the scene is over, Indiana Jones makes his way under the truck and then uses his whip to be dragged behind the truck before climbing back on and regaining control.

The Italian Job. Most fun. Mini Coopers driven where no car dares to tread including the LA subway.

Return of the Jedi. Obstacle course. Luke and Leia race on flying speeder bikes through a dense forest with Storm Troopers smacking into trees.

Bourne Ultimatum. Wings on feet. Bourne’s breathtaking foot race across the roofs of buildings in Tangier makes one think he stole the god Mercury’s winged shoes.

Live Free or Die Hard. Best knock down. After being chased throughout DC, Bruce Willis’s John McClane takes out the pursuing helicopter with a car.

Live and Let Die. Spectacular boat chase. Have to list at least one James Bond movie. Gotta love speed boats peeling around the Louisiana bayou with one ending up in a pool and Bond leapfrogging in a boat over the redneck sheriff’s patrol car.

As an aside and on a lighter side, I also want to pay homage to the chase scene in What’s Up Doc? when Barbra Streisand and Ryan O’Neal drive a Volkswagen Beetle down San Francisco’s famous ‘Lombard Street’. Hysterical.

What are your favorite chase scenes, whether cinematic or literary?

:) Carol

15 comments:

Toni Anderson said...

I watched the Bourne one the other day. I LOVE that scene. So taut with will he/won't he. And I love the Italian job. That's the main reason I had a mini in SEA OF SUSPICION. Such a great car. I want one!!

Elise Warner said...

I second Raiders of the Lost Arc--quite a chase. French Connection's chase had me dizzy.

Marcelle Dubé said...

Cool post, Carol. One of my favourite chase scenes has to be the one from the beginning of Serenity (the Wild Wild West space opera written/directed by Joss Whedon and starring Nathan Filion) where Mal and his misfit crew are being chased by a Reaver ship. Wild stuff.

Anonymous said...

The Blues Brothers - both the pursuit by Carrie Fisher throughout the film, and the car chase at the end of the film - a masterpiece combining all the cliches of film/TV car chases which goes completely over the top, involving a phenomenal number of cars, wanton destruction and balletic manoeuvres.

Wendy Soliman said...

I just put a powerboat race/chase in my latest, which I thought might be a bit different. Now I'm not so sure. Sigh!

Anonymous said...

The Warriors. Their whole night is one big chase from the Bronx to Coney Island.

Maureen A. Miller said...

Wow, Carol, you got my adrenaline pumping with this post. The middle Bourne in the tunnel was crazy too.

I LOVE the Raiders chase scene, and I love that particular Bond chase as well.

Now I want to watch all of these...and read Wendy's chase scene. :)

JB Lynn said...

Maybe it's because it's the release wknd for the movie, but I really enjoyed the chase scene at the beginning of the last Harry Potter book. Harry, and those he cares about most, are trying to get from his home to the Weasley's with the DeathEaters hunting them.

Julie Moffett said...

I loved all the chase scenes in the Bourne movies. And of course, no one does a chase scene better than James Bond. I mean, seriously!! :) Great post, Carol!

Carol Stephenson said...

Wendy, I love power boat chases...the thumping of the boats, the spray, the roar of engines.

Can't wait to read it! :) Carol

Mary Ricksen said...

Loved those scenes myself, but writing them is tough! Great blog, brought back memories!

Unknown said...

I'd have to vote for The Italian Job. Could watch that chase scene over and over.

And I love powerboat chases, Wendy, so I can't wait to read yours!

Clare London said...

Fabulous homage!

I stood at the top of That Road in San Francisco when I went on a holiday there and imagined the Bullitt car chase :).

The Italian Job is a favourite, and Marcelle's reminded me about the Serenity one, too. Great movies :).

Erwin Calverley said...

OMG, the Italian Job! You reminded me = how I love that movie! The whole story is great.. Wait, which are you talking about here, the remake or the original? I haven't watched the original because I haven't found a good copy. I'm talkin' bout the remake. It's very, very good! The car chase scenes and the story that revolves around their group and the father-daughter relationship are very gripping.

Leisa said...

A place with lots of Bugs makes me giddy and happy! I considered the VW Bug as a “happy car.” It seems like a lot of people feel particularly happy when they see one on the streets. They are adorable and quite lovely!

Leisa Dreps

More Popular Posts